Monday, March 8, 2010

I have officially begun my journey. Actually, that is not entirely true, is it? My journey began months ago... Maybe even years ago.

Five months ago, my life changed. Like many young professionals in Boston, I lost my job. Now... I had spent the entire summer congratulating friends for getting layed off. Calm down... I know that unemployment is no laughing matter, but we are talking a group of 20-somethings that already hated their jobs. I saw it as an opportunity. And when the axe came down on me, my feelings were no different. In fact, the day I was layed off, was the first night I slept 8 uninterrupted hours in as long as I can remember. The heavy burden had been removed from my shoulders and finally, I had the push I needed to pursue my dream of becoming a CHEF.

I have been cooking semi-pro for a few years now. Catering dinner parties and benefits here and there. I have dreamt of making my passion my career, but found it difficult to abandon the great salary and benefits that shackled me to the finance world for long hours, hard work and little pay in the kitchen.

When my former company had first announced layoffs in early January, I was certain, my head would roll. I started making plans... I contacted several culinary schools, applied and was accepted. My only hesitation was that I had already spent so much time, energy and money pursuing my degrees in biology and genetics. The idea of going back to school for another 4 years with a bunch "children" was terrifying... Not to mention the $100k of debt it was going to land me.

The dreaded day came and went... I still had my job in marketing at one of the nation's top independent brokerage firms. I was bummed. I know that I was fortunate to have a job in this economy, and I guess a part of me was a little relieved that I didn't have to make the career hopping decision just yet. But this was a wake-up call. I knew that I could not continue on the path I was headed. Yeah, the money was great; the benefits even better. My job allotted me the freedom to travel, party and do pretty much whatever I wanted, but I was not fulfilled.

I decided to start slow... With some culinary background, I figured that I could land a part-time job cooking somewhere. I sent out feeler emails to a few chefs in the Boston area that were looking for line/prep cooks. I explained my situation and the fact that I was going to switch careers. I received a response from the executive chef at a modern Italian eatery.

With my work schedule, a part-time cook position was not possible, but he was willing to take on an intern. I would go in to the restaurant and work for free whenever my schedule allowed; sometimes as many as 40 hours per week. For months, I observed cooking techniques, management style... Learning and practicing along the way. One day, I went in to the kitchen and the entire kitchen team had quit. Their last days being scattered over the next week. The owner offered to let me stay on with the next chef, but I felt like that would be betraying my first culinary mentor. My last day was that week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment