Monday, March 8, 2010

It was the beginning of summer, my internship now complete, and I was only a couple of weeks out from heading off on my annual trip to Mykonos, Greece - If you have never been to Greece... GO! Over the next several months you will undersand why. My best friend, Mixalis is greek and now resides in Mykonos permenanly, so I not only go there for beaches and non-stop party, but to spend some time with him.

Upon arrival on the island - reunited for another crazy holiday - I went straight to Blu Blu to find Mixalis. We spent the next two weeks enjoying paradise. One day, while talking at Jackie O's, I mentioned that I was planning on beginning a new career as a chef after the first of the year (which is when bonuses were paid), and Mixalis had a briliant idea... Instead of taking off for Napa to attend culinary school at the CIA, come to Greece and work.

When I returned to the states, I continued to feel unfulfilled with my marketing position... the same thing, day after day, week after week. I was miserable. Then, something fantastic happened... My department merged with another department in San Diego and I was layed off. The timing... not so perfect. I had just committed to a new puppy - Duke - and a new apartment... money was going to be tight. This was it though... that final push I needed to really start pursuing my dream.

I began planning my move to Greece, but before I headed out in to the great unknown, I thought it best to get more culinary experience. I sent emails to area chefs, called in a couple of favors from some rather influential individuals in the culinary world and landed an unpaid role at a local bistro. From October until 2 weeks ago, I worked a full time schedule at the restaurant and the experience was invaluable... one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I guess that kind of brings me up to date. After my apprenticeship at the bistro ended, I had 2 days to move out of my apartment - what a mess and a very long story. I shipped my puppy off to Steve, in Minneapolis to spend a couple of months until I get settled abroad and now I am on my national tour.

I am originally from a small ranch in western Washington, so naturally, before I take off on this incredible journey, I had to spend some time with my family. It was a great week, but Washington was only the first stop. I not write to you from Charlotte International Airport as I await my connecting flight to SAVANNAH, GA. That's right... Savannah... Home of the second largest St. Patrick's Day festival in the country. I am meeting Jackie and Sara - a couple of my Boston girls - down there for a weekend of debauchery. It should be crazy... Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment